The origins and early development of Freemasonry are a matter of some debate and conjecture. A poem known as the “Regius Manuscript” has been dated to approximately 1390 and is the oldest known Masonic text.According to Grand Lodge records, Niagara Frontier Lodge No. 132 can rightfully claim direct decent from Niagara Lodge No. 345 F. & A. M., the first Lodge chartered in Niagara County, although a period of 21 years intervened between the last meeting of the one and the organization of the other. We may picture our lodge as being a rejuvenation of the former lodge since many of the organizers were former members of Niagara Lodge No. 345.
It then, is fitting that a history of our lodge should begin with a few pertinent events in the history of our predecessor.
June 7, 1822
It was on June 7th, 1822 that Grand Lodge granted a charter to Niagara Lodge No. 345, at lewiston NY, then a thriving town. Its records and warrant are in the archives of our lodge, our most highly prized antiquities.
Transportation in those days was mostly by oxcart, horseback, or boat. A larger under-taking in this field was the Erie Canal which has been under construction since July 4th, 1817 and was opened to traffic on October 26th, 1825. The original Welland Canal in Ontario was developed between 1824 and 1833.
The newly formed lodge was fairly prosperous for the few years of its existence. On July 5th, 1824 it laid the cornerstone of Lewiston Academy, the first established in this vicinity. This old cornerstone is in the Lodge room of our temple. The original contents were twelve old copper and silver coins. No documents of any kind were found.
May 10, 1827
The last communication of this lodge was held on May 10, 1827. The business was routine, a degree was conferred, and applications were received.
One reason for the suspension of activities was the disappearance of the Charter. This was subsequently canceled by grand Lodge in 1833 and remained lost for many years. It was discovered by M.W. Benjamine Flagler, Past Grand Master , in 1886 in a second hand book store in Washington, D.C., purchased by him and presented to our lodge on March 17, 1886.
Another contributory reason for discontinuing its meetings, at least publicly, was the storm of anti-Masonic feeling which was rampant in this state and some other eastern states following the “Morgan Episode.” (link courtesy of Wikipedia) Under this excitement , masonry declined in New York State from a membership of 20,000 in 480 lodges in 1826, to a membership of approximately 3000 in 75 lodges in 1835.
January 21, 1848
After 1840 a decided revival spread over the country and interest in masonry grew apace on the frontier.
On January 21st, 1848, the following named brethren,most of whom had been members of Niagara Lodge No. 345, united in a petition to the Grand master for a dispensation for a Lodge of F. & A. M. at Lewiston, NY under the name of Lewiston Frontier Lodge.
Caleb N. Raymond Master
Samuel Chubbuck Sr. Warden
Christopher H. Smith Jr. Warden
John T. Beardsley – T. W. Fanning – John Ladd – Seymour Scovell
Charles bennett – Oliver Grace – Asahel Lyon – James Smith
A. Buck – John Hull – William Miller – Ambrose Thomas
Hugh Cowen – A. B. Jacobs – John Morrison – Parkhurst Whitney
February 15, 1848
This petition was referred to Lockport Lodge No. 73 at a stated communication held in Masonic Hall in the village of Lockport on February 15th, 1848, where it unanimously resolved:
“That this lodge do recommend to the MW Grand Lodge, the prayer of the petitioners be granted.”
Thus was a favor returned, since Lockport Lodge No. 73 had been chartered in 1824 upon recommendation of Niagara Lodge No. 345.
March 29, 1848
On this date M W John D. Willard, Grand Master of masons of the state of NY, granted a dispensation authorizing and empowering the petitioners before mentioned, to meet together as a regular Lodge of Master Masons with full power to do all such acts and things, as have or ought to be done, by lodges under dispensation, and appointed as the three principal officers those brethren who had acted in those stations according to the original petition.
April 5, 1848
Upon receipt of the dispensation the petitioners promptly met on April 5th, 1848 at the Lewiston Hotel in the Village of Lewiston and proceed to temporarily organize. Ten brothers, one a visitor, attended this meeting. The first and third Wednesdays of each month were fixed as the dates for the stated communications of the Lodge.
April 12, 1848
A committee was appointed to prepare the by-laws. It was voted to temporarily use the by-laws of Hiram Lodge No. 105 in Buffalo.
April 19, 1848
At the third communication held on April 19th, ten shillings were appropriated to pro-duce a copy of the Grand Lodge Constitution. By this we learn, these brethren were determined to start right.
May 10, 1848
Brother John T. Beardsley acted as Master. Visitors from St. Catharine’s, Canada West, were present and assisted with “Instructions.” A petition was received from W. P. Slo-cum (the first petition) and also one from R. H. Woodruff.
May 24, 1848
With eleven members and eleven visitors present the two petitions were accepted and the petitioners initiated that night.
June 1, 1848
At this communication, the by-laws were adopted. On motion it was resolved, “that three persons be selected by the lodge to be recommended to the Grand Lodge, as the first regular officers of the lodge and on ballot John T. Beardsley was elected for rec-ommendation as Master; Ambrose Thomas, Sr. Warden; and Asahel Lyon, Jr. Warden.
June 10, 1848
On this date Grand Lodge authorized the granting of a warrant to the lodge, under the name of Lewiston Frontier Lodge No. 132. It is under authority of this warrant that our lodge meetings are held, the original being still in our possession.
July 5, 1848
The warrant having been received the lodge was duly constituted and its officers were installed by W Asher Torrance, past Master of Lockport No. 73 under the dispensation to him from RW Oscar Coles, Deputy Grand Master.
At this communication the compensation of the tiler was fixed at fifty cents a meeting. He was given charge of the key and directed to keep the lights and clothing in order. It is a tradition that each member was required to bring a candle on meeting nights with which to light the lodge rooms
July 19, 1848
The first class of candidates to be initiated under the new charter and by duly installed officers, consisted of Sherburn B. Piper, Attorney, Simon Gallinger and Dr. George P. Eddy. At this meeting brothers Woodruff and Slocum, who had been initiated on may24, were passed to the F. C. degree. (Two degrees at one meeting not now permitted) These same brothers, Woodruff and Slocum, were the first to be raised in the new lodge. This occurred on August 23, 1848.
December 27, 1848
The three principal officers were re-elected and installed at the first annual meeting held December 27, 1848. It might be interesting to hear consider some things which would logically have been the topics of conversation in the ante room of the lodge in those days.
Lewiston at that time was the metropolis of the area. Up river were a couple of hamlets. Up to 1840 one had been known as Manchester, so named by judge Porter who vi-sioned its eventual power development would surpass a city of like name in England. The name of the town gradually changed to Niagara Falls and the village was incorpo-rated under that name in 1848.
The little hamlet of Bellevue , on the present site of the theater of that name, came into prominence when the incline to the first Maid of The Mist Landing was built in 1846, just south of the railway bridges across the gorge. This village was finally incorporated under the name of Niagara City in 1854 and again changed its name to Suspension bridge following the completion in 1855 of the first railroad bridge to span the gorge.
The villages were served by the Buffalo and Niagara Falls Railroad and the Lockport and Niagara Falls Railroad. These operated on wood rails overlaid with strap iron and were put into operation about 1836.
In 1848 Charles Ellet constructed the first bridge across the gorge after having paid $5.00 for a line (kite string) spanning the head of the rapids. Passengers were carried across this cable way in a basket now in the Buffalo Historical Society’s possession.
Other interesting news of that day was the Mexican war of 1846 to 1848 with the peace treaty of march 10, 1848; Abraham Lincoln’s term in congress 1847 – 1849; and the presidential election of 1848 when Zachary Taylor was elected to succeed James K. Polk. Then, too, the abolition of slavery was seriously coming to the front in American politics.
July 18, 1849
After passing over the minutes of meetings held during several months we find in the proceedings of July 18, 1849 two interesting resolutions
(1) “that a committee be ap-pointed to ascertain the cost of a lodge room and appurtenances
” (2) “that the secre-tary be authorized to purchase blank books for the use of the lodge.”
For many years there has been belief that the lodge , soon after its organization in the Lewiston Hotel, held its meetings in the frontier House following the destruction of the Lewiston Hotel by fire. The book of records does not mention the fire – nor does it record the movement of the meeting place to the frontier House. However, the resolutions give us a meager clue. First, there existed the need for new quarters and appurtenances. Secondly, the fact that the secretary was authorized to purchase blank books etc., might indicate that some of his books had been destroyed by fire between the meetings of July 4th and July 18. The book of records was not destroyed because we still have it. Thus it is probable, the communication of July 18th was held in the frontier House. Later a lease was signed with Caleb Raymond, owner of that building and the lodge met there for some time. marks on the floor of the third story indicate today, the outline of the lodge and anterooms. This stone building was constructed by Barton Bros. and opened in 1826.
September 12, 1849
At a meeting held on September 12, 1849 the lodge room committee reported the cost of fitting up the room leased of Caleb Raymond would be $122.60
>From the year 1850 the lodge seems to have been really embarrassed financially and it was with considerable difficulty that the brethren kept it going. It was hard to repay money borrowed to start the lodge but they struggled along courageously and kept up their grand Lodge dues together with current expenses, which of course were not large. Candles for light and wood for fire were provided by the brethren attending the meetings.
October 27, 1852
Railroad and Bridge construction had greatly developed the small villages near the cataracts as a result of which most of the petitions came from there. The lodge was not prospering as it should, so on October 27, 1852 brother Charles Piper presented a writ-ten notice, that at the next regular meeting a motion would be made to remove the lodge to Niagara Falls. No more meetings were held until March 23, 1853 when it was unanimously agreed to make the proposed move. This was the last communication held at Lewiston.
April 20, 1853
Although the action had not been sanctioned by Grand Lodge, the next meeting was held at the Falls on the 20th of April, 1853 in a building still standing at the N.E. corner of Main and Thomas streets.
This action was not approved by Grand Lodge until June 8, 1854 when the following extract from the report of the committee on warrants was adopted. “In relation to the application for the removal of Lewiston Frontier Lodge No. 132 from Lewiston to Niagara Falls, they recommend that the same is hereby sanctioned by this grand Lodge and that its name be changed to Niagara Frontier Lodge No. 132.”
May 3, 1854
The committee on Lodge rooms reported that they had rented “Odd Fellows Hall” in the Porter Block at Main and Cherry Streets, the present location of the Elks Temple. They paid $20.00 on the rent so it may be assumed they moved into these quarters that spring. The minutes make mention only of a further payment on June 7 to cover rental to August 1st.
November 22, 1854
There is no record of any dissatisfaction, or intention of moving from “Odd Fellows Hall” but on November 15 the lodge took a recess to meet in Temperance Hall, Main Street on November22,, at which time they entered into an agreement to pay Albert N. Allen $2.00 per evening. This hall was just north of the building on the corner of main and Thomas Streets.
March 21, 1855
Still in the moving business, the lodge appointed a committee on March 7 to procure a suitable lodge room and on March 21 a committee was appointed to sign a lease with Mrs. Sarah DeVeaux for the use of her Hall at an annual rental of $100.00. She was the widow of Judge DeVeaux deceased in 1853. The Hall was on Main Street immediately south of the Porter Block and across the Street from the Cataract House.
May 23, 1855
A bill was received from the New York Central Railroad for freight on chairs, $7.48, also one from Hinkley & Company for $54.78, for the high back walnut furniture we still have. In contrast to our present day proceedings we read with amusement some of the little items of business recorded in those minutes of long ago.
Lodge dues were fixed at 25 cents per month and later reduced to $2.00 per year. The lodge paid $2.00 for 20 white aprons. A former secretary was fined 50 cents for not reporting on a petition. Loads of wood were ordered to be paid for by the brethren present if there is not sufficient money in the treasury. Public installation of officers was frequently practiced. A motion to reimburse a secretary for accepting a bogus $5.00 bill, was lost. Motions were often made to pay bills if and when sufficient funds are available. Finally on December 5, 1888 the lodge tried a ton of coal at $5.25. It was satis-factory.
May 26, 1858
Ten years after its organization the lodge has passed its most serious financial difficul-ties and is in prosperous condition. There is degree work at every meeting and it is fre-quently necessary to call special communications. This is the first year the lodge has sent a representative to Grand Lodge. That fall Mrs. DeVeaux agreed to reduce the an-nual rental of her Hall from $100.00 to $75.00 and the lodge extended the lease for a year. They had again threatened to move.
April 2, 1862
At this meeting, Homan J. Walsh was made a Master Mason. As a boy he had flown the kite which put the first line across the gorge from which Charles Ellet in 1848 con-structed his famous “basket on a cable,” passenger service. A committee was appoint-ed to confer with the Young Men’s Association and with Mr. Porter relative to renting his hall then occupied by the Y. M. A. At the April 16 meeting the lodge voted to purchase the Y. M. A. furniture for $175.00 and to rent the hall from Mr. A. H. Porter at the same time notifying Mrs. DeVeaux of the termination of her lease on May 5th. On May 7th a five year lease was signed providing for an annual rental fee of $100.00. They also purchased the carpet and wood shed for $42.00
September 7, 1864
Benjamin Flagler petitioned the Lodge for initiation on June 15, 1864, was initiated July 20, passed August 3rd and raised September 7th. He later served the Lodge as secretary for several years, was its Worshipful Master five years, District Deputy one year and in 1882 became Grand Master of Masons of the State of New York.
March 1, 1865
The organ committee, who previously had reported their inability to purchase an organ for $130.00 had taken one on trial and it proved so satisfactory the lodge voted to pur-chase it at a price of $170.00
April 19, 1865
A resolution concerning the death of Abraham Lincoln was spread upon the minutes, the lodge room and jewels were draped in morning and the resolution published in the county papers.
The following year in April, Niagara Chapter No. 200 R. A. M. recently organized was given the privilege of using the lodge rooms free of charge for one year and thereafter to pay one half the total expense of wood, light , and cleaning.
June 19, 1867
A bill was honored for $170.00 for collars, aprons, and jewels for the officers. This was the first regalia worn by our Lodge officers. The wearing of the collars was discontinued on February 14, 1870.
October 18, 1871
At this meeting $200.00 was sent to the Grand Master of the State of Illinois for relief of the brethren who needed assistance because of the great fire in Chicago. A contribu-tion of $25.00 was forwarded to Medina Lodge No. 336 toward the aid of W Blake who had been blinded in an accident. The widow of R W Francis H. Johnson was the recipient of another $25.00 donation.
These are only representative of the frequent charity acts of our lodge in its infancy. besides money, they gave unstintingly of their time and devotion to the sick, the needy and the bereaved. We would be much better Masons and would profit immeasurably if we took to heart the lessons here inculcated.
June 16, 1875
At this meeting Brother Michael Topping was raised. He later served the lodge as its secretary for a period of sixteen years and was held in the highest esteem.
September 19, 1877
For some time past the members residing at Suspension Bridge had desired the for-mation of a new lodge and accordingly on this date 24 of them presented a petition for a dispensation to form a lodge to be known as Flagler Lodge, recommending that W James McFeggan be its first Master.
October 3, 1877
The resolution presented at the previous stated communication, with respect to the for-mation of a new lodge, was discussed at length, put to vote and lost. The membership numbered but 134 at that time.
December 18, 1878
On invitation of Clifton Lodge No. 254 Clifton, Ontario, the lodge, in full regalia, attended divine worship at the Presbyterian Church. Rev. Bro. Bacon preached the sermon. This was the first event of its kind in this lodge.
December 27, 1878
On this special meeting night, the officers elected December 18, were installed. Preceding the installation, the Master elect Geo. W. Wright was invested with the secrets of the chair. This was the first ceremony of its kind in our lodge.
January 18, 1882
The desire to form a new lodge at Suspension Bridge again came to the fore and R W Benjamin Flagler presented a petition signed by 26 members, praying for a dispensation to form a lodge by the name of “Charles Roome Lodge,” and recommending that W Wm. P. Mentz be its first Master.
February 1, 1882
The resolution presented at the previous meeting by RW Benjamin Flagler had created some excitement with the result that 49 members came out to the meeting. The resolution carried by a margin of one vote. The reason for, or date of the change in name of this new lodge does not appear in the minutes. It is first recorded in our records as Niagara River Lodge where it is mentioned as joining with Niagara Frontier Lodge in the formation of plans to hold a huge banquet in honor of the election of brother Flagler as Grand Master of Masons of the state of New York.
The date of this banquet is not given. On July 16, 1882 the committee was given free reign to procure everything it may deem necessary to make the event a perfect suc-cess. In its report dated September 6th the expenses were listed as $607.40 of which the lodge paid from its treasury $332.40.
Brother Flagler manifested his appreciation shortly thereafter by presenting to our lodge a complete set of “Proceedings of Grand Lodge” from 1856 to 1882 inclusive. These are bound in half leather and are part of our library. On December 5th the following year he gave the lodge a large, beautifully framed picture of himself, which is hanging in our dining room now.
In the record of proceedings dated March 17, 1886 we again find evidence of his unfailing interest in his lodge for on that date he presented the original warrant or charter of Niagara Lodge No. 345 which was the original or foundation of this lodge. In 1896 he gave us the History of Free Masonry in four volumes.
September 19, 1888
At this meeting brother C. M. Young was elected treasurer to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Brother Stoughton Pettebone. There was $367.64 in the treasury at the time. He later started the first subscription list for the erection of a temple, an act which earned him the sobriquet of “Father of The Temple.”
March 20, 1889
An encyclical from the Grand Master was read, announcing that all indebtedness on the Masonic Hall and Asylum Fund had been liquidated.
At this meeting the lodge voted to purchase its first save and to pay $80.00 for the same.
September 4, 1889
The lodge in conjunction with Niagara Chapter executed a lease for a banquet room at an annual rental of $100.00. The room was on the second floor rear of the Porter Block. Furniture and equipment costing $241.61 were purchased for it.
January 7, 1891
A resolution presented at the previous stated communication, was passed amending section 20 of Article 6 of the by-laws to read “The annual dues shall be $3.00, payable at the last stated communication in December in each year. Except that members who have paid dues to this lodge for 25 years, shall be Exempt from payment of all future dues except Grand Lodge Dues, the lodge books to be the evidence of the dues having been paid for that length of time, such exempt members to retain all the rights and privileges of active membership.”
The dues were again adjusted not many years after but the 25 year clause remained in effect about 42 years.
The lodge was asked at this meeting to join in the project recently instituted in public meetings, to establish and maintain a coffee house in the village on account of the large influx of young men employed on the tunnel works of the Power Company. The lodge donated $25.00 and a subscription list was placed on the secretary’s desk.
November 18, 1893
The lodge had been on alert for better and more convenient quarters for several years. The rooms committee was instructed to investigate the possibilities and cost of quarters in the Gluck Building just erected on the site of the Spacer House destroyed by fire.
Early in 1894 the lease was signed and arrangements made for dedicatory services to be held soon after Easter. The new quarters were shared alike by Niagara Frontier Lodge No. 132 F. & A. M., Niagara Chapter No. 200 R. A. M. and Niagara Commandery No. 64 K. T., under an agreement entered into by them to lease the quarters for ten years. A board composed of an equal representation from each body acted as trustees or agents to manage the business affairs for them.
April 1, 1896
Officer’s aprons were purchased by the lodge at a cost of $52.00, a pair of compasses at $1.25 and a square at $2.00
April 6, 1898
This being the first communication following the 50th anniversary, April 5, 1898 of the granting of a dispensation enabling our lodge to organize and to confer the three de-grees of Masonry, a special program was arranged to fittingly celebrate the occasion.
There are inscribed in the minutes the names of all members present, as well as those of the visitors. The main address was given by MW Benjamin Flagler. This recited the principal historical events of the lodge in its 50 years of progress. The address was printed in pamphlet form and for many years there-after each initiate was given a copy.
For many years, the project of building a temple, was discussed from time to time in an indifferent manner. Finally Brother C. M. Young circulated a subscription list for the purpose of starting a fund with which to eventually buy a suitable lot. The subscriptions totaled $1138.00
>From the success and enthusiasm attending this venture, our Worshipful Brothers, Geo. B. Clark and A. A. Oatman conceived the idea which started the never-to-be-forgotten “Masonic Fair.” With the splendid, whole hearted and unanimous support of the lodge membership the fair was held the week of October 19 to 24, 1903 and netted the lodge about $7000.00.
The actual purchase of the “Temple Site” immediately followed an authorization executed by the lodge on June 3, 1903. By using the subscription list, the receipts from the fair and smaller ventures, the lot was freed of all indebtedness in December 1904.
The beautiful dream was slowly and surely crystalling. With an ever increasing tempo the activities of the membership at last brought forth plans and on May 24, 1906 in the presence of a large gathering Brother Rankin McMullen, “The Patriarch of the Lodge,” turned the first sod. The shovel used by him was later plated and is now among our souvenirs. This Brother shortly afterward left the lodge about $4000 in his will.
The laying of the corner stone occurred on October 6, 1906. The day was extremely disagreeable, some of the program was staged inside but the actual dedication cere-monies were carried out on the site, under the direction of RW S. Nelson Sawyer as Grand Master. In the cornerstone was placed a copper box containing a number of in-teresting papers and documents of the day, a complete list of which is recorded in the minutes.
The dedication took place on September 27, 1907 with MW Townsend Scudder, Grand Master presiding. He also dedicated the Lodge Rooms of Niagara River Lodge No. 785 on North Main Street on the same date.
The first lodge meeting was held in the new temple on September 4, 1907 when en-tered apprentice brothers Clarence D. Sargent and Edward K. Bottle, were passed to the degree of fellowcraft in due and ancient form.
The building committee which did such a magnificent job in financing and construction with the means at hand was composed of –
William A. Philpott Chairman
W. S. Humbert Secretary
George G. Shepard Treasure
C. M. Young Edwin J. Cole
R. A. Taylor George M. Tuttle
A. A. Oatman Frederick Chormann
Grateful acknowledgment of their unselfish devotion to their task, was made in the form of a resolution, passed by the lodge, bearing the seal of the lodge and the signatures of its Master and Secretary and spread upon the minutes. A copy was sent to each member of that committee.
The lodge furnishings were gradually acquired, over a period of years, through the ceaseless activities of various committees, the Temple Club, the Gill Creek Clam Chowder Club, the Fellowcraft Club and the lively and very effective participation of the ladies. Without their influence and activity, we would not have today the home-like, restful environment amid which we enjoy our fraternalism.
December 4, 1907
Upon receipt of a report of the by-laws committee, the lodge duly approved the amend-ed form and ordered them printed to replace those last printed on November 10, 1898. The major changes were, the fixing of the initiation fee at $40.00, dues $5.00 and affiliation fee $5.00
On November 17, 1909 a committee working jointly with a like committee from Niagara River Lodge No. 785, arranged for furnishing a Masonic room in Memorial Hospital, and the annual payment of $25.00 for upkeep.
October 26, 1910
After preparation starting the previous winter, our lodge made its first pilgrimage to Temple Lodge No. 324 Hamilton, Ontario. A surplus of $26.15 was donated to the “Car-pet Fund.” Our carpet was finally purchased in 1912 for $1108.12 which represented moneys collected from the surplus of ventures like this, the profits on dances, suppers and theater plays. Subsequent purchases brought the carpet cost to nearly $1300.
Temple Lodge returned our visit on November 22, 1911, bringing many dignitaries and one hundred thirty five brethren. They were met at the New York Central Station by our Past Masters and a large delegation of our brothers and headed by a band proceeded to our temple. They exemplified the Canadian first degree by special dispensation after which they were dined and entertained in the ball room.
This exchange of visits between these lodges was renewed in 1935 and since then have been annual occasions. Receipts for the occasion $221.00. Disbursements $220.34 November 3, 1910
Brother Willis E. Cushing was appointed as a member of a committee on antiquities. He served continuously and for many years was the lone member, gathering, marking and arranging one of the most complete collections of its kind in the state.
December 20, 1911
At the annual meeting a motion was carried instructing the Secretary to procure and present annually to the retiring Master, a Past Masters jewel. Three years later the lodge voted an additional jewel to the oldest living Past Master who had not previously received one.
September 4, 1912
Through the courtesy of an invitation of Niagara River Lodge No. 785, received on June 19, our lodge met in their rooms on September 4th presumably while our own rooms were being decorated. At the October 16 meeting the carpet was reported laid and paid for with the exception of a small balance which would be liquidated in the coming winter.
December 17, 1913
Annual meeting. Initial fee raised to $50.00.
February 4, 1914
WM A. Scott, Master. In consequence of the prevalence of smallpox in this city, which occasioned the Health Board to order the cessation of all public meetings, both fraternal and social, the closing of all churches and theaters, and the quarantining of the city, the lodge held no meeting for work on this date. The principal officers and three past masters met and opened lodge to avoid a break in the regular meetings of the lodge which have continued without interruption, so far as it is now known, since shortly after the organization of the lodge in 1848.
June 21, 1916
At this meeting, reference is made to the fact that Worshipful Master , Major George G. Shepard would in all probability leave the city in a few days with the National Guard in answer to the muster call of our governor who on request of our President has already called the National Guard for service on the Mexican Border. Major Shepard was at the next meeting but after that was absent for several months. The incident fore-shadows the entrance of this country into World War I in which 50 members of our lodge entered the service. Our lone casualty was Harold J. Jacoby.
In the year 1917 there are frequent references in the minutes, to war activities, such as Liberty Loan Drives to which we subscribed our share, donations to Grand Lodge for War Relief, requests for the conferring degrees on soldiers from other jurisdictions and arrangements made for the conferring of degrees on our soldier applicants in whatever military post they may be stationed. banquet room speakers were frequently military men.
Up to this time visiting lodges frequently conferred degrees but this year a group of ma-sons from the Carborundum Co. put on a second degree and provided the entertain-ment in the banquet room. More that 100 Carborundum employees attended. Since that time other groups have followed the example and such gatherings have greatly stimulated interest in the craft.
May 1, 1918
On this date the lodge authorized the trustees to enter into a contract with The Chamber of Commerce for the leasing to The Chamber for a period of three years, the first and second floors of the Temple at an annual rental of $2400.00. The lease further stipulated that the term could be extended to a five year period. The Chamber remained in the Temple until May 1, 1927
An epidemic of Spanish Influenza again caused the Health Dept. to place restrictions on all public gatherings. A small group of the officers opened and closed lodge on the regular meeting dates in December, but transacted no business. Even the annual meeting was postponed and was finally held on special dispensation on December 27, 1918. The newly elected and appointed officers were installed the same night. Reports made at these annual meetings showed a steady reduction of the indebtedness.
On March 19, 1919 the by-laws were amended, providing for stated communications being held the first three Wednesdays of each month with the exception of July and August. The hour of meeting was fixed as 7:30 PM. Then as now there was a great in-crease in the number of petitions in the years following the war. The banner year was 1920 when 87 members were taken into the lodge. At the Past Masters night held jointly with Niagara River Lodge No. 785 on November 24th of that year there were nearly 300 masons in attendance.
April 20, 1921
On this date a letter was received from Niagara River Lodge No. 785 asking for the names of the committee members who, on previous tentative arrangement, were to be appointed to meet with a like number from No. 785 to discus the proposal for providing a joint meeting place for the two lodges. This was a proposal springing from the neces-sity of vacating the lodge rooms so long occupied by No. 785 in the Silverberg Block.
The committees held several sessions and on October 5, 1921 a communication was received from No. 785 reporting that, following the committee sessions, a canvass of their members resulted in a vote indicating 196 favored a new, centrally located temple, 61 favored sharing our temple, while 75 preferred to erect a temple of their own.
On February 20, 1923 the joint committee, made what eventually proved to be their final report; i.e. neither body could find economic reasons for negotiating further. However, negotiations were reopened at the request of No. 785 and a new committee appointed May 20, 1925. The following October their secretary wrote to us that their lodge had decided to drop further consideration of the matter.
Niagara River Lodge finally erected a beautiful Temple of their own and in the interim rented our lodge room for their meetings.
October 4, 1922
The abnormal influx of new members had slowed down by this time and there appeared to be no further necessity for three regular meetings a month, so on resolution submitted at the previous stated communication, the by-laws were amended, providing for regular meetings on the first and third Wednesdays with each month with the exception of July and August.
December 19, 1923
The ever present thought of clearing the Temple of debt, crystallized in the fall of 1923 under the leadership of the board of trustees who were faced with the problem of financing the retirement of the second mortgage bonds two years hence. A resolution was finally submitted by them on November 21 proposing that annual dues beginning with 1924 would be $10.00 per year in advance and that the entire increase would be applied against the indebtedness until it was fully retired. This resolution carried at the December 19th meeting.
June 4, 1924
W Willis E. Cushing brought to lodge an invitation from the Lewiston Mens Club, to participate in the services to be held July 4, incident to the 100th anniversary of the laying of the cornerstone of the old Lewiston Academy on July 5, 1824, by Niagara Lodge No. 345, the predecessor of our lodge.
The ceremonies under the direction of RW Robert E. McConnell, D.D.G.M. were very impressive and were largely attended by our Past Masters and members.
The contents of the old stone had been removed temporarily on June 18, 1924, for ex-amination and photographing.
The following is a list of articles, pamphlets, etc. deposited in the cornerstone of the Lewiston Academy Building when it was reset July 4, 1924.
Copy of the constitution, regulations, definitions and rules of order of the Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted masons of the State of NY.
Masonic Directory of Niagara Falls, NY for the year 1924. Copy of the by-laws of Niagara Frontier Lodge No. 132 F. & A. M. Copy of Historical address by W Willis E. Cushing. Program of the Centennial ceremonial of Ames Chapt. No. 88 R. A. M. of Lock-port Order of service at Grace Church Lockport, NY on May 4, 1924. Copy of Niagara Falls Gazette of July 3, 1924. Glass frame containing the twelve U.S. and foreign coins found in the corner stone when it was opened on June 18, 1924 after having been deposited in it on July 5, 1824. Chapter Penny of Niagara Chapter No. 200 R. A. M. Official program of the July 4th celebration and the relaying ceremonies of the cornerstone July 4, 1924. Parchment Roll containing a program of the day with the signature of the mem-bers of the Lewiston Village Board and the executive committee of the Lewiston Mens’ Club. Program of the Masonic Ceremony of the relaying of the Cornerstone. The following U.S. coins presented by Brother Chas Z. Braden; Hugenot Memo-rial 50 cent piece of 1924, a quarter, a dime and five pennies of 1923 coining.
Two or three years later the building was razed by the village fathers and the old cor-nerstone was entrusted to the care of Niagara Frontier Lodge.
December 17, 1924
At the annual meeting of the Worshipful Master announced that a special communication would be held on December 29th for the purpose of passing on the proficiency of the officers proposed for the new lodge at LaSalle for which dispensation was being sought. At that meeting, W Ronald G. Wright, Master, Thomas Seddinger, S. W. and Lloyd Schrack, J. W. were declared fit and proficient and on motion our lodge recom-mended to Grand Lodge the granting of the special dispensation permitting the for-mation of LaSalle Lodge No. 1049. At the January 21, 1925 meeting our lodge voted a donation of $250.00 to assist the new lodge in procuring necessary equipment. On June 6th their charter was presented to them by RW Robert E. McConnell, D. D. G. M.
September 15, 1926
A communication from the Grand Secretary informed us of the appointment of RW Henry G. Meacham as Grand Lecturer of Masons of the State of N.Y.
December 15, 1926
The steady and rapid retirement of indebtedness stimulated interest in the membership, which naturally led to thoughts of acquiring some of the things they had denied themselves for years. Six major situations had to be taken into account.
(a) There was still a small balance owing on a first mortgage.
(b) The Chamber of Commerce was due to vacate the first two floors on May 1, 1927.
(c) Niagara River Lodge expected to terminate the lease of our lodge rooms and move into their new temple sometime in 1927.
(d) The Fellowcraft Club had grown until it had about a third of the lodge mem-bers on its roster and the club quarters on the fourth floor were wholly inadequate.
(e) Storage space for the paraphernalia of the various tenant bodies, locker room for the commandery and the degree team, and conference rooms for use of the lodge and tenants were all badly needed.
(f) An elevator had been thought of for many years.
For the purpose of correlating all these things into a concrete plan the master on resolution of the lodge in the fall of 1926 appointed a committee of 14 to investigate and bring back recommendations to the lodge.
As a result of their report made on December 15, 1926 the lodge voted to use the lower floor of the Temple for special purposes, the second floor for Dining room and kitchen and the fourth floor for armory and storage space. Lodge dues were fixed at $10.00 per year with out any definite provision for applying any part against indebtedness. The elevator was also approved over some objection. Money was borrowed on a mortgage to finance the whole undertaking. Alterations were completed that year and a house committee appointed to take charge of the social activities, club and lounge for the year 1928.
April 16, 1930
Wear and tear on furniture and temple alike, were forcing the lodge to do some long range planning. The Past masters association took the lead in this and made a general and comprehensive survey of the entire situation. The original concept embraced a much smaller project than the completed program. Generous offers of individual Past Masters to purchase new pieces of lodge furniture , and also the phenomenal financial success of a large ball held at the Hotel Niagara in the winter of 1930, so heartened and enthused the members that they made a very optimistic report through their chairman George M. Tuttle on April 16th before a large attendance of the lodge and their recommendations included redecorating, renovation and new lodge room furniture throughout.
The trustees, Worshipful Brothers Frank L. Buell, Robert D. McIntyre and Alton A. Rich-ardson were empowered to carry out the program as soon as they were convinced that the money raising committee, composed of Oscar Bell Sr., Chairman, L. J. Call, Treasurer and Frederick W. Gray, Secretary, could and would provide sufficient funds to finance the project without adding more than $7000.00 to the already heavy obligations of the lodge. This committee deserves the highest praise for their efforts and the trus-tees are to be commended for the splendid results they obtained with the money provided.
December 20, 1933
In consideration of similar action in a large number of the lodges in this state, and the necessity to immediately take some action to counteract the ever increasing loss of revenue through the growing numbers of so called veterans exempt from dues after 25 years of membership, the lodge on this date amended the by-laws so that members initiated or affiliated after January 1, 1910 must pay regular dues so long as they hold membership in the lodge.
During the years of the depression very little degree work was done. Being relieved of this part of our fraternal work, the officers and members turned to the social possibilities with very great success. The Masonic Singers often furnished very pleasant entertainment; we had “Meachmam” night; the Grand Master paid us a visit; lodges exchanged fraternal visits frequently; we renewed in 1935 our annual exchange of visits with Temple Lodge at Hamilton, Ontario; this period also witnessed the beginning of the practice of yearly class organizations, a practice which has led to many enjoyable evenings and the formation of many close friendships.
Two other interesting events of this period were the occasions on which Grand Lodge through its regular representatives hung bronze plaques on our walls in commemoration of the charitable acts of two of our Brothers. The one was presented in 1935 for W Wm. A. Philpott for his generosity to the Masonic Hall and Asylum Fund and the other in 1938 by the Grand Master in person for James T. Lister who bequeathed a very substantial sum to our lodge as well as to The Masonic Hall and Asylum Fund.
Then on December 7, 1938 our lodge honored its Secretary Wm. J. Martan. Dozens of Masonic dignitaries from New York State and the Province of Ontario, gathered to offer felicitations and gifts. A bound book of letters from a legion of friends was probably rat-ed the highest by him whose genial spirit made him beloved by all.
December 7, 1940
Again we faced war conditions. It seemed only yesterday that our brothers in the service came home from World War I. The general run of lodge work was abandoned.
Attendance at lodge meetings was handicapped by gasoline rationing. We sat through blackouts and sang familiar songs. In some meetings overcoats were worn because of fuel shortages. Degree wok increased to a point where meetings were held every Wednesday and a few on other days. But our lodge came through as always and nobly performed every call upon it. A regular correspondence was maintained with Brethren in the service and Christmas gifts sent to them each year. Recreation rooms were outfitted in Niagara University for the use of engineers training there. Shelters were established for service men waiting for buses. Our club rooms were open to the use of service men. The use of the Temple was donated to the Red Cross each month for blood bank donors. We more than averaged our per capita war chest allotment for New York State’s program of War Service. 85 of our Brethren were inducted into the service and two of them paid the supreme sacrifice. They were Agnus Gawley and Richared Shipston whose pictures appear elsewhere in this Lodge.
March 21, 1945
The initiation fee had been $50.00 since the spring of 1935. In consequence of the higher plane of living both in the wage and living field, we raised our initiation fee to $75.00
April 18, 1945
The committee appointed to analyze needed repairs, and maintenance and to secure approximate costs of the same, made their report at this meeting, the general plan was formed around the goal of having our house in order, fully repaired and free of all incumbrances by the time we should celebrate our 100th anniversary on June 10, 1948.
The committees, the workers and the members in general have done nobly with the result that on the date of our anniversary all projects are expected to be completed.
June 1, 1957
New maroon carpeting was placed in the Lodge room by joint efforts of all organiza-tions occupying the Temple.
New tapestry adorned the East and West in the Lodge room donated from the Fellowcraft Club which was instrumental in various renovations of the building.
Extensive remolding of the dining room, including new tables, paneling and recessed lighting made the room outstanding. Also the refurbishing of the Social Club on the main floor of the building was completed and suitable for Masonic functions.
October 9, 1973
W Robert R. Donovan continues our annual visitation to Temple Lodge, Hamilton.
November 7, 1973
At this communication we celebrated with a rededication program chaired by W Robert R. Donovan.
March 20, 1974
The lodge voted to allow the Doctors Associates, neighbors to the Temple to make a parking lot on the east side of the temple.
March 23, 1974
A special communication was called by the Worshipful Master for the purpose of wel-coming members of
Nelson Lodge No. 30, Whelling, WestVirginia;
Preston Lodge No. 297, Preston, Ontario;
King Solomn Lodge, Toronto, Ontario,
to confer the third degree upon 4 fellowcraft Brothers.
October 16, 1974
Amendments to the by-laws were voted on and carried. The annual dues increased to $15.00 except for those who have been members for 50 years shall be exempt from payment of dues except Grand Lodge Dues. The house committee shall have charge of all social activities held in the dining room, ball room, or recreation room and shall be responsible to the Trustees for their proper care. The House committee shall be em-powered to make or to add to the House rules governing the conduct of members and the use of the above rooms and properties, subject to the approval of the Worshipful Master and Trustees before adoption. The House Committee shall be empowered to form sub-committees to assist in carrying out plans for entertainment of Masons and their friends. The House committee shall be empowered to set and collect donations from those enjoying these privileges. The chairman of the House Committee will report to the lodge at the annual meeting as to receipts and disbursements for the year.
September 3, 1975
A request was made to vote on the formation of a new lodge in Lewiston. A motion was made to table the vote until the next communication, carried.
September 17, 1975
At this meeting it was voted not to form a new lodge in Lewiston and the Lodge extend-ed its thanks for the Past Masters for their efforts in trying to form a new lodge.
February 2, 1977
This Communication was canceled by the Worshipful Master, William N. Grafuis, the 100th master of the lodge, because of the Blizzard of 1977. The worst blizzard in the history of Niagara Falls, a state of emergency was declared and the first time a commu-nication was cancelled.
June 11, 1977
The Cornerstone of the former Lewiston Academy was rededicated as a historic marker in Academy park. MW Albert Schneider, Grand Master of Masons of the State of New York was present and did the honor of laying the stone.
September 9, 1977
W Robert R. Donovan and W Francis Schoonover organized a very successful bus trip to Nelson Lodge in Wheeling, VA.
April 5, 1978
Chula Vista Lodge No. 626, Chula Vista A. presented a 75 year award membership pin to our Brother Henry C. Wall
December 4, 1978
With taxes continuing to increase, liability insurance twice as much for next 3 years, utilities increasing, sources of income declining, , membership dropping, attendance poor, and support of fund raising events was not what it should be, the lodge has been operating on a deficit.
At this Board of Trustees meeting they voted to sign an agreement for the sale of the Temple at Main and Walnut with the Niagara Falls Realtor Board. On Friday, December the 8th the agreement was signed.
January 23, 1979
A prospective purchaser was conducted on a tour of the Temple and has made an offer to purchase
March 1, 1979
On this date an Option was signed by Joseph A. Deck to buy the lodge Temple for $50,000.00 and Niagara Frontier Lodge No. 132 for a one year period from date of clos-ing, May 1, 1979, would pay a monthly rental of $750.00. This Option was not picked up.
May 16, 1979
The Chairman of the Board of Trustees, W Robert Fadel, reported to the lodge that a sales contract for the sale of the Temple to Dr. Herman & Robert Brezing, for $57,000.00 has been consummated. Closing date of July 2, 1979. It was also agreed that we rent parts of the temple for a period of two years.
June 4, 1980
At this meeting the membership honored the 25 year, and 50+ year members in addition to RW Jack W. Fitzgerald being appointed as District Deputy Grand Master of the Niagara Orleans District. On September 3rd he was presented his purple apron at a Apron presentation ceremony that was open to the public.
February 18, 1981
RW Jack Fitzgerald presented to the lodge on behalf of the Fellowcraft Club a new complete set of Officers Aprons which are in use today.
November 18, 1981
Niagara frontier Lodge No. 132 F. & A. M. held its first Annual Masonic Memorial Ser-vice open to the public, conducted by W Richard Tracy. This service is to honor the Brothers who have passed away during the year.
November 28, 1981
An Apron Presentation was made to RW Dale K. Bunce for his appointment by the Grand Master, MW Wendall K. Walker, Grand representative of the Grand Lodge of Florida near the Grand Lodge of New York.
May 5, 1982
WEarl Hino Jr., Immediate Past Grand High Priest of the Grand Chapter of Royal Arch Masons of the State of New York spoke to the brethren present this evening on mason-ry from its beginning and traced the various bodies of Masonry throughout the world. June 2, 1982 Brother F. Leighton Stevens was the recipient of a Dedicated Service Award which is a special award given to a Brother who faithfully served the Lodge.
September 15, 1982
W Ronald McCormick was appointed Assistant Grand Lecturer of the Niagara Orleans District and hosted the Grand Lectures Convention on October 27, 1982.
October 5, 1982
A meeting of the Board of Trustees was held on Oct. 4 discussing the high utility and maintenance costs. The previous year cost of heat was $4098.00 and increased to $5197.00 for 1982. The Chairman Wor Robert Fadel sent a letter to all using bodies of the Temple, in an effort to keep costs down, not to tamper with the thermostats that have been lowered.
December 7, 1983
The Trustees of the Lodge agreed to purchase a Hammond Organ form Brother Clar-ence Weaver which was moved into the Lodge room before January 1, 1984
September 8, 1984
An Apron Presentation to RW Ronald McCormick Grand Director of ceremonies of the Grand Lodge of New York, appointed by MWCalvin G. Bond, Grand Master of Masons of the State of New York, was presented on September 8, 1984 in an open meeting.
April 9, 1985
Brother Mike Young, a member of Niagara Frontier Lodge No. 132 , and International Congress Secretary for the Order of DeMolay, accompanied the International Master Councilor to visit Brazil for the purpose of instituting DeMolay in Brazil. A motion was made to donate $250.00 towards expenses, carried.
May 15, 1985
At this communication , RW Jack Fitzgerald, introduced Brother Giuseppe Romeo, a member of Michele Bello Lodge No. 278 located at Siderno Marina, Italy, who present-ed to our Lodge a Flag of his Lodge, which will be placed in our archives.
October 16, 1985
It was reported by the Trustees that Dr. Herman and Robert Breezing and our Lodge has signed a lease for a period of 5 years with a 5 year additional option and is increas-ing the rent from $500.00 to $765.00 a month.
March 4, 1987
RW Dale K. Bunce on behalf of the Fellowcraft Club presented a check for $1000.00 to the District Deputy Grand Master, Ronald Beu for the Masonic Brotherhood Fund. The money was accumulated from the last 2 masonic Charity Balls sponsored by the Fellowcraft Club.
May 2 – 4 , 1988
The Grand Lodge Convention was held in the Niagara Falls Convention center. It was unlike any of its predecessors. Several masonic ceremonies will be conducted in public for the first time which brought in over 2,000 Masons. RW Ronald Bower, the District Deputy Grand Master of Niagara Orleans District said “After all this time, we’re coming out of our shell a little bit. Were going to tell the public about the good things we do. We’re going to toot our horns a little bit.” Locally there were about 6,000 Masons in 49 Lodges, 3,000 in 18 Lodges in Niagara Orleans District. Burl Ives, Mason, singer-actor, received a distinguished achievement award, but due to an injury he was unable to be present. The MW Robert C. Singer, Grand Master at the time was responsible for the opening and its move to the Falls. RW Jack Fitzgerald presented the Grand Master with a beautiful painting of the Falls. Still can be viewed today at this lodge
May 18, 1988
The Board of Trustees reported to the Lodge they voted to accept an offer from LaSalle Lodge No. 1049 to rent their Temple to hold meetings. A meeting was set up with Dr. Herbert & Robert Breezing to discuss the lease.
October 18, 1988
The Chairman of the Board of Trustees, W Robert Fadel, was brought to the East and presided over the biggest issue in ages. The resolution was presented on account of the highly increasing costs of operating the Temple and if the deficits are allowed to continue, the Lodge will be bankrupt in a few years. The Lodge would then be forced to give up its charter, merge with another and lose its identity or accept an offer from LaSalle No. 1049 to share their quarters. A motion was made, seconded, carried, that the resolution be adopted to move to LaSalle No. 1049 as soon as possible.
October 26, 1988
Grand Lodge granted sanction to remove the meeting place from the Temple at Main and Fourth Street to the Lodge room of LaSalle Lodge No. 1049, S Military Rd, Niagara Falls, NY.
December 7, 1988
A lease was signed with LaSalle Lodge No. 1049 from January 1, 1989 to December 31, 1989 at the rate of $50. 00 per meeting.
December 21, 1988
Last regular stated communication at the Temple at Main and Fourth streets. RW Dale Bunce gave a history report of Niagara Frontier Lodge to the brethren present.
January 4, 1989
First regular stated communication at LaSalle Temple. $4180.00 was generated from Lodge sales.
June 6, 1990
W Robert Fadel, chairman of the Board of Trustees, briefed the brethren present of the bequeath of over $70,000 left by Ruth Hoshke to the Lodge and asked that a page be set aside in the book of memories in her honor.
February 19, 1992
The Grand Lodge registry now has a computer software MLSS (Masonic Lodge Secre-tary System) to maintain Member records and profiles. At this communication the Brethren voted to make a donation to Brotherhood Fund in memory of R W Guy Vandermosten, at the writer of the softwares request, for a copy of the program to use.
March 18, 1992
At this stated communication, , W John L. Ball, RW Jack Fitzgerald were escorted to the East by the marshal, Brother William P. Foglesong at which time W John L. Ball presented RW Jack Fitzgerald a certificate on behalf of Niagara Frontier Lodge No. 132 F. & A. M., Honoring him as Mason of the year for 1992. The Master, W James Stevens presented brother Fitzgerald with a Masonic watch and a plaque honoring him for his unselfish time, dedication, and contributions he has given to the Lodge brethren, and Masonry. The event was followed by refreshments in the dining room.
April 1, 1992
The Lodge was summoned by W James Stevens on this date to vote on a resolution to move Niagara Frontier Lodge No. 132’s meeting place from the LaSalle Temple to Ni-agara River Lodge No. 785 on the recommendation of the Lodge improvement commit-tee, the Past Masters, and the Trustees of the Lodge. It was further recommended that the relocation of the meeting place be in accordance with the conditions stated in the letter from the Worshipful Master and Board of Directors of Niagara River Lodge No. 785. The rent set at $800 per year for 2 meeting per month except July and August. The vote was taken and it carried.
April 30, 1992
Received approval from Grand Master, MW Richard P. Thomas to permanently move its meeting place from LaSalle Lodge No. 1049 to Niagara River Lodge No. 785.
May 5, 1992
At the 211 Grand Lodge Annual Communication an amendment of Section 302 of the Book of Constitutions was approved. This amendment provides for the election and installation of Worshipful Master, Senior and Junior Wardens, Treasurer and Secretary of the Lodge at the first Stated Communication after the Annual Communication of Grand Lodge in May and Installation no later than June 30th.
With this change to the Book of Constitutions, the Worshipful Master, James Stevens, served a six month term as Master of the Lodge and W Steven C. Richards was the first Master to serve the term from June 1992 to June 1993.
September 2, 1992
This was the first communication held at Niagara River Lodge No. 785
October 29, 1992
At this communication an edict was ordered read by the Grand Master, MW Sheldon K. Blank, “I Sheldon K. Blank, Grand Master of Masons in the State of New York, pursuant to authority in me vested, do hereby DECLARE that lodge trustees shall take office immediately upon their election with the other lodge officers in May of each year.”
At this communication a few brothers and family were recognized for their help during a blizzard by transporting nurses to and from hospitals with 4×4 vehicles and also to their home if needed. Those recognized for helping out in the community were: W John Ball, W Steve C. Richards, Brother Dave Lewis, Steven P. Richards E.A., Richards, Steve & Michael both sons of Steve C. Richards.
June 2, 1993
In addition the the Annual Awards ceremony that took place this evening, there was a presentation of a scholarship award to Tracy Garrow by WSteven C. Richards and W John L. Ball. Assemblyman Joseph Pillittere presented a Child Identification Grant to Niagara Frontier Lodge No. 132. The presentation of the Mason of the Year Award to Brother William P. Foglesong by W Steve C. Richards, W John L. Ball, and RW Jack Fitzgerald.
October 1, 1993
Lodge received a letter of confirmation for our donation to the M.S.A. Disaster Relief Fund. This contribution went for the Masonic victims of flooding in the Midwest which they benefited greatly from our generous gift.
The concern of the masonic family for those in distress continues to be one of the great strengths of the Fraternity.
December 1, 1993
W Alan Lilley, spoke to the brethren this communication on the Drug Free School Zone Program. The three Niagara falls Lodges, Niagara Frontier Lodge No. 132, Niagara River Lodge No. 785, and LaSalle Lodge No. 1049 all agreed to split the costs of purchasing these signs to be placed near the local school areas.
W John Ball presented RW Nornan Webb of Temple Lodge No. 324 Ontario, Canada an Honorary Certificate of Membership to Niagara Frontier Lodge No. 132 F. & A. M. and the Traveling Gavel was presented to W John Ball, by presented RW Nornan Webb of Temple Lodge No. 324.
February 2, 1994
RW Jack Fitzgerald raised the Lodge this evening and applauded W John Ball for all his dedicated hard work and contributions to the craft. He relocated to North Carolina and is missed dearly by all.
October 19, 1994
The former Lodge Temple at Fourth and Walnut Streets was put on the auction block to be sold in a foreclosure auction in Niagara Falls City Hall.
December 21, 1994
W Robert Fadel together with some of the Brothers toured the former Masonic Temple at Fourth and Main Streets. He talked with the contractor, who is scheduled to demolish the structure, about removing the stain glass windows and other artifacts.
February 1, 1995
A consolidation committee was formed consisting of Members of Niagara River Lodge No. 785, LaSalle Lodge NO. 1049, and Niagara Frontier Lodge No. 132 to discuss the potential of merging.
February 23, 1995
The consolidation committee met, divided into separate sub-committees, and tasking s were assigned to the budget, secretary’s, and masters committee.
March 30, 1995
Consolidation committee met , only 10 of 15 members showed. Committee preparing a proposal to be presented to Lodges for vote. No further meetings of the three Lodges had sufficient members attend to accomplish anything after this one. Niagara Frontier Lodge No. 132 was speculating purchasing a building.
April 5, 1995
W Richard Hann ordered the Lodge summoned for the purpose of voting on purchasing a church and property located at 9605 Colvin Blvd, Niagara Falls, NY at the next stated communication on May 3, 1995
May 3, 1995
W Steve C. Richards, chairman of the Board of Trustees, approached the east and spoke to the craft on the financial aspects of the purchase of the church and property at 9605 Colvin Blvd. Discussion followed, and a motion made, seconded, carried to purchase for $55,000.
December 6, 1995
A motion to make the MW Earl J. Hino, Jr., Grand Master of Masons of the State of NY an honorary member of Niagara Frontier Lodge No. 132 F. & A. M. carried. A ballot was ordered, taken and clear.
July 15, 1996
Received a communication from the Most Worshipful Earl J. Hino, Jr. at the request and under the seal of Niagara Frontier Lodge No. 132 F. & A. M. in accordance with section 786 of the Book of Masonic Law sanctioned the removal from its meeting place at 1001 South Ave, Niagara falls, NY to its new meeting place at 9601 Colvin Blvd., Niagara Falls, NY.